Sunday, November 25, 2012

Almost Home!


As I write this I am doing the proverbial "watching paint dry"! My builder has precut all the skirting boards and I am staining them with Japan Black so that he can install them tomorrow. I love this paint, even though it's a turps clean up- yuk! However it looks great when done and is also the magic ingredient to pull off the "Hampton's" look for a house reno. Which I am not trying for, but for interest if that's the look your after the black floor boards will get you home!
Anyway this paint is supposed to have a 12hr re coat time, but I am doing a rotation in the sun and hoping to have the 2nd coat on much sooner. I'm also not after a perfect look, so I'm then finishing them off with bees wax for a bit of a pre loved look hopefully.

It's been a huge busy week here, hence my lack of postings. It started with my builders cutting the brick wall in preparation for the connection later this week. This was their last  chance to do it as they needed to use a wet saw which means water everywhere. So they laid plastic everywhere on the floor and taped it really well then Doug my builder and I used the wet vacuums to soak up the water while Darren his son cut. We did well and it didn't penetrate to the polished concrete. (That's the kids little weekend craft projects sitting on the blue table- plaster cast moulds!)


Here's Darren getting ready to cut looking more like a trawler fisherman than a builder!

Now some exciting stuff. Here's how it currently looks.


This is the view looking from the current kitchen which will be our connection point down towards the fire place in the lounge room. That's a pile of boxes in the back corner, coming in from the old shed, in preparation for it's pull down and also the kitchen island bench minus the stone top.


The view in thru one of the bi-fold doors with the kitchen taking shape. The walls are clad with myrtle veneer.


Check out this little spunky monkey- it's the trapeze lighting in my new office.


This is the big high bay light over the lounge. I have 4 of these. They hang about 1.2m's down from the ceiling. The power in the new section is connected now.


This is the custom stair stringer lying near the wall of the old and new. The plumber will be here later this week to connect up the new kitchen. Once that's done he'll disconnect the old kitchen which is currently where our stairs are going and then we can knock out the wall and become one! All going well next weekend we should be living in the new section.

No comments:

Post a Comment