Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tropical Escape

Non gardeners have my permission to switch off now! For those of you who don't mind looking at beautiful plants and gardens, this ones for you.
Gardening is one of my passions which is probably becoming pretty obvious. Yesterday I dragged my eldest along to an open garden at Sunnybank which has been often billed as the best tropical garden in Australia and also the world.
It's the creation of Dennis Hundscheidt. The street front offers a glimpse of what's to come.
Dennis opens his garden once a year.

The original part of the garden is about 20 yrs old. This was the canopy he created first to then be able to grow the shade loving plants under.

The garden is on approx 3000 sq meters. Over the years Dennis bought neighbouring properties and removed fences in order to create his ambling trail through glorious tropical garden rooms.






Check out that queue! It took about an hour to get around. Everyone just followed in single file with plenty of time to admire and take photos. Some people joined the line again once they finished for another trip around.



People came from all over Australia and even from overseas to experience this beautiful paradise. It is such a source of inspiration and even my 8 yr old asked if he could live here. Ha, my love of gardening is slowly becoming ingrained, just like my mum and grandma did to me!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. garment racks, slatwall display.

    ReplyDelete