Thursday, August 23, 2012

Off and Building!

Great excitement here at my house. For the past week and a half the renovation has been in full swing. Let me show you around!


This was my house just a few weeks ago. It's a post war double cavity brick. You'll notice the tiled roof, timber framed windows and top half of rendered walls- all very typical for this style. It was built probably around the late 1940's. It's in a well established older street that I came to know quite well from not only being a long time resident of this area, but in primary school I did charity collecting along this street, which gives you the best chance to check out all the houses.
I have loved the street since then and there are several gorgeous houses that catch my eye, but by far the biggest draw card is that my property along with about 20 others share the back boundary with the local golf course. Whilst I don't play myself, it's like looking out onto a huge park land and every 5 minutes a group of golfers come thru to the 9th hole which my house directly overlooks.


My builder Doug removing the old lean to and back external laundry. There were heaps of concrete slabs everywhere to go and here he's standing on the laundry roof cutting thru the concrete roof slab.


The lean to demolished and now just waiting for the digger to come and demolish the laundry walls and roof.


And here it is with the dump truck. I'm fortunate to have side access from the golf course vacant land. My builder constructed a gate and the club have been really good about allowing access for all the trucks and deliveries. You can see the golf course over the top of the digger.


The digger removing the excess soil for the slab footings to be laid out. For this first stage of the demolition we removed 2 of the M&K trucks of clean fill, 2 x building rubble and 1 large skip bin.


The footing trenches are dug with the reo in and ready to be poured.


Here's the concrete boom swinging in over the old garage shed which will be demolished further along. Love those blue skies- beautiful building weather!


The footings being poured. The middle set of windows in the existing house will be cut down to become the doorway and stairs leading down to the new extension.


My plumber- Peter laying new sewage lines and connecting into existing points.


This is the stage that gets really fun- when you can pinpoint the exact locations of the new house. Here I am standing at the new kitchen sink.


Yep, you guessed it- The powder room!


Here's the view looking back from one of the main roads across the car park. 


This shows the extent of the new extension. Of course if won't be this visible as the fence will hide a lot and then I'll be planting it out also.
The new style is very different to the existing house. People will either love it or hate it, but that's what design is. Everyone's taste is different. The new part is modern with a skillion roof, polished concrete floor and split face blocks. It satisfies my desire to be able to have modern and also the more traditional style of the existing house.
Stay tuned as the weeks progress I'll keep the updates following. All up it's about a 10-12 wk build. Bring on Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment