Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Scream for Ice Cream!

It's back to the grind stone now after a relaxing week in North Queensland visiting Cairns and the surrounding areas. One of the requests from the kids prior to heading up north was that they wanted to have ice creams on the beach. I knew this would be easy to accomplish, little did I realise how easy. It seemed that literally every 10th shop an ice cream/ gelato/  sorbet store. It was a feast for the eyes and the waist line is now paying!


When I walked around the hotel block I passed 6 such stores and they were always busy but their displays were always kept topped up and always looked incredible.


Over the years when I've been consulted about ice cream stores I've always advised on what a seasonal business it is. The stores are flat out in the hot months and then winter can become the danger period when a lot end up succumbing to no business and have to close their doors. However there are certain locations where these stores seem to do well- Noosa, Cairns, Port Douglas. They all share a similar theme of beach locations and tourist meccas.


I loved this Gelato store in Cairns which also made its own ice blocks.


This was a clever idea for their weekly prize draws- the used sticks with phone numbers.


I hope this has left your mouth watering!

No comments:

Post a Comment