Tuesday, November 25, 2014

8 Street

Photo- 8 Street website

The new extension to Westfield Garden City has brought an exciting new retailer- 8 Street. It's a kind of food court within a food court, but with the interesting twist that all counters are Asian foods. It's an L shaped layout and takes you on an amazing culinary journey.


Within a couple of step you find yourself lost in the back streets of what could be any market in any number of different Asian countries. But hang onto your Coolie hat. It's busy and packed and very exciting and smells amazing.

Photo- 8 Street website

The fitout is very authentic and clearly big dollars have been spent on many types of finishes that have been imported specially for this job. But it works and for half an hour you can enjoy your mini escape and indulge your taste buds.


The dark ceiling is accented with Chinese lanterns and bamboo bird cage lights with a back drop of eclectic timber shutters.

Photo-8 Street website

I am a huge fan of Asian food and aside from breakfast I could happily eat it all day. I think this is in a large part thanks to my mum's influence. I am a child of the 70's and at that time Chinese home cooking was the biggest food trend to hit our Aussie shores. So I grew up with mum dragging us off to China Town to buy groceries. Funnily enough I now do the same to my kids!


The outlets are all independent operators- some with retail outlets outside the centre. You can choose from Japanese, Chinese, Korean and everything in between. And you can watch it being made fresh in front of you. Many stalls have samples to try before you order.


Dumplings are my weakness and my mum and I got a taster plate as well as some other super yum tasting dishes that she'd procured at the other end of 8 Street. 




The venue is also licenced if you'd like a sake or cider with your meal. Definitely worth the visit and I know I'll be back.





No comments:

Post a Comment