Thursday, August 30, 2012

One Slab down!

It's a quiet day here on my building site and I actually got a bit of a sleep in without having to let builders in early as usual. Yesterday the slab was poured, so it's sitting and drying for a day before the brickies begin tomorrow.


I'll start with a few finishes. I brought a couple of these large cushions about 12mths ago and a matching set of the grey vases. Inadvertently they've given me the direction for the finishes of my house. Whilst it may look like a bit of an overload of grey here (50 Shades perhaps...!) They are all warm greys and will be softened with other finishes such as warm timbers and stones and plenty of colour also. Also shown here is the stone for the kitchen bench tops- Caesar stone Shitake and the kitchen cabinets Laminex Espresso. All sounding yummy?


I'm just waiting to see how the concrete polishes up and depending upon it's final colour I have a 2nd option for the bench top stone.

The week started with forming up the outer block walls for the main slab.


Then the empty area between the perimeter walls was filled with crusher dust.


Once all the dust was compacted the trenches were dug to form up what would become the concrete beams. Basically this is just a grid pattern poured as deeper concrete to give the main slab more strength. The crusher dust and trenches were all covered in black plastic and the reo was laid everywhere with the little stands underneath. That's my builder tying reo together in prep for the pour.


Here's the pour beginning. You'll also notice the first line of my main house block. It's the dark grey with the very textured split face surface. A big contrast to the existing house.


Getting towards the end with the lounge area still to go.


Almost done with the final smoothing off with the float.


The "helicopter" a couple of hours later gives the final finish.


And here it is quietly drying today!


One last finish- my girlie girl indulgence for a wall in my ensuite. The beautiful gold flecked maroon glass mosaics. Too hard to resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment