Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wintergarden Queen St.


I finally had a chance to have a proper look at the refurbished Wintergarden on the Queen St mall. I've rushed thru a few times without having the time to browse.


The most outstanding feature I thought was the incredible butterfly/ garden cladding on the Queen St exterior. It's massive, gorgeous in my opinion and would have involved so much work and cost a fortune.


The overcast sky didn't do the colours justice, but I'm sure that people who are lucky enough to have a view from their office buildings, would enjoy a lovely kaleidoscope as the sun dances across the surfaces.


The Wintergarden features a mix of international and upmarket tenants, something that Wintergarden has always prided itself on offering. Since the refurb there are a few new international brands to Brisbane.

The garden imagery is carried through inside in various alcoves.

This is a nice way to dress up otherwise boring hoarding and continue the butterflies.

Aside from the incredible garden scape external cladding, I felt the new look complex fell way short of hitting the mark. I think the massive marketing campaign that they've been running and the actual centre just don't gel. The food court in particular is very dark. While the finishes are modern and contemporary combine those with the low ceiling levels that the centre has always had and now the few extra dead end corners in the layout and I would suspect that the internally located tenants will be voicing their concerns shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment